Saturday, October 4, 2008

no shoes? look at the ones with no feet.

All my life I have been , to put it bluntly, overweight. A pleasantly chubby baby grew up into a pleasantly plump young woman and then with growing age, the weight grew too...Have agonised over it and tried a few things, but I seem to come up dry.
Recently a family moved in near our home and the lady of the house seems to have similar issues. A few days back, when I was visiting, she offered me an aerated drink, which i refused as I do not like them as a rule. Quickly, she asked me whether it was because it was fattening . Then she proceeded to astound me by saying that this must be the reason I was not fat.
Not fat, me??? when all my life I have fielded the comments , spoken and unspoken, from well meaning (!!!) relatives, about how I could afford to lose a bit of weight. (As if I go blind when I see myself in the mirror or see the weighing scale.)

Along with the realisation that she was not mocking me came another one that everything is relative, and since she had er.., larger issues, it was her perception that I was in OK shape. Reminded me of the story of the man who cried because he had no shoes till he saw someone with no feet! Why do we always look at others and feel envious rather than look around and count our blessings? We want more money than our contemporaries, more recognition than our colleagues, more marks for our children than their friends, larger homes than our neighbours? The worst part is we din this trait in our children too, by constant comparisons( yours truly is guilty as charged).
Comparisons are odious and yet I want to be a size zero too(Look at Kareena Kapoor!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...