Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Dumb for a day

Have you ever been dumb? This is a new experience for me - No no, not in the way of being unintelligent. That way I have had many ( 'countless!' I can hear my mom say) stupid moments, days and months ( hopefully not years). I mean in a 'dumb animal' cannot talk , kind of a way. So what is it that brought out my ..er..animal instincts , you ask?

Well, it has to do with wisdom. It has to do with growing older ( you notice, I avoid the word old). Apart from the brain which has hopefully grown and gained with age, other parts want to join the wisdom club.

The teeth for instance. The wisdom teeth appear when you least want them. . Just as you heave a sigh of relief at having paid off the huge orthodontist bills for aligning your children's teeth, you begin to feel the dull throbbing. ( it is almost miraculous how the two events synchronise) . The throbbing grows into a swelling and you bear an uncanny resemblance to Popeye, the sailor ( as the children gleefully point out to their friends).

As if the pain and the humiliation were not enough, you end up biting the tongue in the same spot (proving to all and sundry that you could do with many more dollops of wisdom). That is of course an example of 'stupid dumbness' which lead to the quiet dumbness. Speaking is agony as the tongue rubs against the tooth every time and eating is pure torture.

Why don't I do something about it? Well since I am told that silence is a way to spiritual happiness, I thought I'd give it a try. As the only way I can keep quiet in under threat of pain and punishment, I am holding back on the treatment. Also, I am hoping to lose a few kilos and as the maxim goes " No pain, No Loss".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...