Friday, July 3, 2009

Countdown to the microwave minute in life

I was waiting in front of the microwave, waiting for the one minute to get over, so I could move on to the next task, when it struck me. This was one minute of my finite life that I was wishing would move fastand get over. This was one minute that I was spending just staring at a machine, waiting for it to end. This was one minute that would never be back and all I wanted was for it to be over. When I think of all the minutes I have spent over the last few years, waiting impatiently at this very machine, I realize that they do add up.

How often have you waited at a traffic signal which tells you that the next green light is in x number of seconds? Very likely, you had a frown on your face and were tapping the wheel, willing the x seconds to flash away. Mind you, not just for the light to turn green, not for the opposing traffic to stop (a tall order these days, in any large city) but for the seconds to countdown to zero.

Our countdown to zero begins the day we are born and without any realization of what lies beyond, we are impatient for it to go faster and faster. We cannot wait to grow up , we cannot wait for our children to grow up. We cannot wait for the workday to end, we cannot wait for the weekend to start. We rush to board the plane and wish the journey would end fast. We want to move on to the next task on the list.

In this countdown, I have often missed the sights and sounds that go along. In this hurry to get things over with, I think we forget how important it is to savour the present. After all , life is a collection of many many minutes. It makes no sense to wish them away!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...