Saturday, August 1, 2009

Special day

My birthday this year fell on a weekday. This meant getting up at the crack of dawn (OK, five in the morning) and getting sleepy kids out of bed, stuffing their reluctant faces with some nutrition, getting them into the uniform, helping them locate last minute stuff and then reaching the bus stop on time. Then there is the dog food to be soaked, the washing machine to be started (in case the electricity fails later) and then on to the walk. First a round with the dogs and then one on our own. A stop at the in-laws on the way back and a few minutes of chatting. Reach home, feed the finicky dogs and get the breakfast. A shower and run for the one hour yoga class. All this gets done by ten in the morning.


The rest of the day is more of a 'play it by ear' sort of thing, with lunch and tea and dinner, with the doggie walks and dinners are thrown in. Randomly there are visitors and the door bell rings. Sometimes I have to make sure I put the dogs out of the way. There is also the mandatory yelling at the kids ( do they ever come when you call them for a meal?). Generally though there is a more laid back approach.

On special days though..birthdays, anniversaries etc, the extended family is here for the celebrations, which means putting on a meal. That was my birthday plan. So when a friend called to wish me and asked me what was special that day, all I could think of was a rainbow I had seen during my walk. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that it was special. It was not very ordinary. It was not every day, just rains could not ensure one and they do not last long. At this point, we hardly rip open the gifts ( though I do appreciate the love, care and thought that has gone into it). So, apart from all the calls, messages and greetings, it was the rainbow that made the day so special.

Maybe age adds to your wisdom. At least, I could appreciate the special nature of such a beautiful, natural occurrence!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...