Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Gender stereotypes

One of the recent serials on TV shows a woman alone, bringing up her four children, running a business and looking after her family and business with great gumption. She faces the barbs of her neighbours and even drives her tempo to deliver her 'khakras' (a savoury snack). Good going I thought, showing a woman in a slightly different light from the usual 'saas- bahu' fare.

I still think it is not too bad except that though she talks of sending her daughter to medical school, every time there is a household chore, she tells the daughter. While I have no issues with young girls learning about house work and doing it when needed, I think boys too should be adept at household chores. These days it is a good idea for everyone to know a little bit of everything. So if girls can drive their families around and change the light bulb when needed, boys should be able to lay tables, do the laundry and cook some basic things. It would be wonderful if this could be taught when young, but at least by the time they leave college, they should have some skills.

Having said this, my sons are not exactly skilled at these things, but then I see my older one, age 18 dealing with some stuff now. Also attitude wise, they have no mental blocks about such things. I wish our serials would also keep such nuances in mind. It would go a long way in changing our mindset.!

8 comments:

  1. I second that notion....somehow, our seniors still find it hard to accept that guys can handle household chores and girls can handle work outside the home...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what? I am beginning to realise that virtue. If any male thinks different, it is time he changes. Cooking is such a wonderful experience. Last week I made Bhindi fry (my own style!). And the way everyone hogged it, made me proud and feel how much a part of the family I am. Great post, Suchismita.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nicely written, great way of illustration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you. My mom made it very clear to me at the onset that my having two different chromosomes did not exempt me from housework! In case you haven't read this, Indian Homemaker wrote a very good piece on gender stereotypes. You can find it here - http://goo.gl/clKxg

    ReplyDelete
  5. couldn't agree more...house hold chores are not related to the women folks only...these days guys are also taking up these things in their stride...reason might be the glamourisation by various cookery shows and concept of living on equal terms with their partners...this trend is fast emerging in Metro cities...interesting write thought

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right on about this! :)

    Suchismita, will you do away with the word verification thingy?? If need be you can use comment verification, which will be easy on the commentators. It is time consuming and such a headache to use, each time one makes a comment. Some of us have been campaigning against it! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am having the same opinion as you.Boys should also study the basic things in household chores.Now girls and boys have no difference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the kind words. Glad you all agree.

    Firsttimers.. Welcome!

    @shail. I have disabled the word verification. Never thought about it, but yes, it can be a pain..hope you'll comment more.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...