Monday, June 6, 2011

Veni, vidi, vici! (or... I came, I saw, I conquered)

She came unannounced. She was not alone though and the three others with her, resembled her like relatives do. I did what courtesy demanded. Gave  them the run of my home though like many other visitors,they too were scared of my big dogs  and I had to ensure that they were kept away. I must admit that I am less kindly disposed to guests who fuss about the dogs because:

 1) It means I have to keep the dogs locked up which they almost never are.
 2) It sorta implies that my dogs are blood thirsty hounds, while in fact I revel in their gentleness ( I am told I talk more about my dogs than  my children, but that's another post)
 3) It is rather troublesome to oversee the comfort of the guests and the dogs simultaneously ( no offence to either)  

As visitors go, they were reasonably well behaved and left after a meal that seemed to satiate. There are some visitors one never expects to see more than once ( like your spouse's spinster aunt, twice removed, who visits once in the entire course of your marital life, seems to have memorised the entire family tree, even though no one really knows even simple things about her , like what food she likes !) and I assumed that she too fell in this category. To my surprise she showed up again the next day. We went through the same rigmarole of separating the dogs and eating etc. I obviously could not turn her out without food.. and not that she ate much anyway.

I did not see her for a couple of days and I assumed it was the end of another 'ships that pass by in the night' sort of thing.  Imagine my surprise at the sight of her on my kitchen door two days later! And this time she showed no signs of leaving  (she  was missing for two days just to make arrangements, it seems). She found a nice cosy spot after her meal and without as much as by your leave, dozed off.

Since then I am stuck with her as are my dogs, much to their disgust. More so because historically and traditionally they seem to be on the opposite sides of the fence. At my place ,even literally!!

And there in lies the challenge.... how do you separate two eternally warring factions and stay sane? The dogs who are house pets/ family for years and a CAT who has adopted you?  How do you send away an animal in need (even if you are not exactly a cat person). Especially when she clambers upto the window and  purrs a warm greeting every time she hears your voice. .. even if it is 'cupboard love', it is heart tugging.(especially when serenades are few and far between, if ever). She has decided that she belongs.. such unconditional love is hard to find especially in this 'human' world..


 Also, I take love any way I can find it and from whom I can get it!
So here she is.. the cat who adopted me-






Post script. There is some sort of an undersatnding between the warring lot.. she stays out though makes it clear that she'd prefer the warmth inside and the dogs are not allowed on her side of the compound. Now if only countries could learn such coexistance !!  

VENI, VIDI, VICI

These famous words were written by Roman statesman and general Julius Caesar (100-44 b.c.) as he announced the victory of his army in Asia Minor in early August 47 b.c. The extraordinarily concise message, which Caesar dispatched to Rome, means simply "I came, I saw, I conquered." The general had defeated Pharnaces II (63-47 b.c.) in a fight for control of Pontus, an ancient kingdom in northeast Asia Minor. The brief but decisive battle took place near Zela, in present-day Turkey.
                                                                                                                 

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful heart warming post... Especially loved the lines now only if countries could learn such coexistence... How true, little incidents that can teach us great things...
    Have a nice day:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)We do have fences/ borders separating us.. so it should not be so difficult to stick to our own sides, right? :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...