Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Metamorphosis!!


I would often hear, I resemble her,
and that would make me smile.
Cause I always have admired her,
and her ability to go the extra mile.

But something I heard the other day,
did stop me in my track,
seemingly coming from my mouth,
the echoes of thoughts from far back.

It was the first I heard my mom,
speaking her mind through me,
I couldn't believe the words I'd said,
were the ones, when young, I would flee.

It happened again quite often,
especially with children, my flesh and bone,
my tongue would move, my mouth open,
but the words never sound my own.

'Be careful', 'Dont be late', 'No you cannot',
are the ones you could  let go,
but to my horror, I even heard,
'because I'm the mom and I say so'!

The lines I hear, I have heard before,
in conversations of long ago.
Those hated words, I rebelled against,
are sadly now, part of my own lingo.

Why is it that the more things change,
the more they stay the same?
What you swore never to do,
you repeat the picture, frame by frame.

1 comment:

  1. Deep down we're all the same
    Let's not have any airs
    You had your rebellions in your time
    Now let kids have theirs!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...